In 1900 Ole and his mother Ingebjørg were living with his brother Gilbert. He was working as a farmer’s helper. In 1910 he was still living with his brother Gilbert. Celia, who would become his wife, was also living in the same household and was working as a servant for the Herm family. Celia was the daughter of Hans Johnson and Martha Langeland who were from Samnanger, Norway. Celia was born in Chicago on 31 Aug 1886.
Ole attended Iowa State University and graduated in 1914 with an engineering degree. He was a civil engineer with the M. & St. L. Ry. Co. in Minneapolis for a time and then was an engineer and surveyor in Marshalltown, Iowa. On 9 May 1925 he filed a patent for an Automatic Planimeter and in Sept the same year he filed for patent on an engineers instrument for taking various measures. On 30 Apr 1928 he filed another patent for stitching on awnings that prevents unravelling of the fringe. In 1930 his home was valued at $3400. He built many of the bridges in Marshalltown which have since been torn down. He died while in his office in 1930 and was found by his son Robert.
Ole was very high up in the Mason’s and as such had a very large funeral. He had been presented with a gold sword from the Mason’s which had his name engraved upon it. This was donated to Mason’s museum. Celia died in 1968.
They had 7 children and they were foster parents to Ingebor and Rueben after their father died. Their father was Dr. Gilbert Herm, Ole’s brother.
- Martha (1 Jan 1912 – ); married to Willard Forbes, 4 daughters.
- Robert James Herm, Sr. (16 Sep 1913 – ); alive in 1994; married to Margie Eno, one son.
- Harriet E. Herm (9 Oct 1915 – 22 Oct 1994); m. 8 aug 1941 to Clifford W. Hesseltine; 1 son, 3 daughters.
- Richard E. Herm (8 Jan 1918 – 4 Dec 1982); was briefly married for 6 weeks. Served in the army in the Pacific during WWII and enlisted 11 Jun 1942. Before joining the army he was employed as a store clerk.
- Edna Herm (13 Jun 1920 – 2003); m. to Robert Adams.
- Howard Herm (16 Aug 1924 – 1937). He had polio.
- Margie Herm (15 Dec – 1929 – 13 Jan 1994); m. 13 Feb 1949 to William Matson. One son, and one daughter.